Aguas Calientes is the closest city to Machu Picchu citadel, once you arrive at the village you will need to get on a bus to arrive at Machu Picchu Inca citadel, so make sure you buy your Bus Ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu beforehand.
There is only one company that sells the tickets, the name of the Bus Company is Consettur, so there is a monopoly and therefore the prices are not cheap for just 20 to 25 minutes ride, this is the reason why many tourists prefer walking up-hill, which is also possible, it takes about 1 hour.
If you are thinking of buying the bus tickets, we suggest buying it in Cusco city since Consettur has a couple of offices where you can purchase the tickets, you will need to bring your passport and pay the fee in US dollars.
If you forgot to buy your shuttle bus ticket in Cusco, you can buy in Aguas Calientes city, however, sometimes there is a big line; this may affect your normal tour activities in Aguas Calientes.
- Every 5 to 10 minutes there is a Bus departing from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu, it is the same on the way back.
- The buses are in operation every day from 06:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m.
Where to buy the bus tickets in Aguas Calientes?
If you are in Aguas Calientes, the place where you can buy the tickets is very close to the Train Station, no need for google maps, Aguas Calientes is a very small village, everything is walkable, just ask any local.
Where to buy the bus tickets in Cusco?
- Av. El Sol 380 – Banco Interbank in the historic center: Opens from 8 a.m. to 12.45 p.m and, from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Av. Infancia 433 – in Wanchaq district: Opens from 8 a.m. to 12.45 p.m and, from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- You can also buy it online on Consettur
- There is no fixed schedule for using the bus ticket. The shuttles leave every 5 or 10 minutes. The visitor can take any of them.
- The bus tickets never run out.
- If you are doing the Huayna Picchu Mountain, we strongly recommend using these buses instead of walking, because of timing reasons.
How much does it cost?
The buses to Machu Picchu are ecological, have air conditioning, and are the only authorized vehicles to travel the Hiram Bingham road, the prices change according to nationality, age, and more, please read below!
- Foreign adult – 24 USD – round trip
- Foreign adult – is 12 USD – one way
- Foreign child (from 5 and 11 years old) – 12 USD – round trip
- Foreign child (from 5 and 11 years old) – 7 USD – one way
- There are no discounts for foreign students
- Peruvian adult – 15 USD – round trip
- Peruvian adult – 8 USD – one way
- Peruvian Student (from 12 and 17 years old with certified student ID) – 10 USD – round trip
- Peruvian Student (from 12 and 17 years old with certified student ID) – 6 USD – one way
- Peruvian child (from 5 and 11 years old) – 8 USD – round trip
- Peruvian child (from 5 and 11 years old) – 5 USD – one way
If you need a professional and happy tour guide in Machu Picchu, join our Milky Way Tour Guides, the prices are very affordable because we only work with local-resident tour guides.
Note: It is not possible to visit Machu Picchu without a Guide according to the regulations of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Tourism.