If you are already staying in the town of Ollantaytambo and wish to visit Machu Picchu, this is the perfect combo for you. You will depart very early by train to the town of Machu Picchu Pueblo, then explore the Machu Picchu ruins. In the afternoon and evening, you’ll return to the city of Cusco.
The times shown in the itinerary below are based on the schedule of the PeruRail train company (Expedition) or another company with similar schedules. Consider the availability of train tickets and Machu Picchu.
- Ollantaytambo is a small town, and the train station is a 15-minute walk or a 5-minute ride by moto-taxi.
- The train company’s team will assist you with boarding.
- What should I do with my luggage? Please refer to the Notes tab.
Approx. 2 hours of train ride.
- You will arrive at Machu Picchu Pueblo at around 9:15.
- Machu Picchu Pueblo is a very small town, so you won’t get lost.
- Head to the nearest restaurant and have your breakfast on your own.
- Board your bus on your own no later than 10:10.
- Always keep in mind that the bus ride from Machu Picchu Pueblo to Machu Picchu ruins takes about 30 minutes to 40 minutes. Sometimes there might be a queue, and the buses usually depart every 10 minutes.
- One day before the tour, we will send you all the details of the bus company in Machu Picchu Pueblo city.
- Your guide will be waiting for you at 11:00 outside the main entrance gate to Machu Picchu ruins.
- One day before the tour, we will provide you with all the details of your guide.
- You will join a group tour in either Spanish or English (your choice). If you book a private tour, you can chose other languages
- The group consists of 5 to 15 attendees.
- The guided visit ends within the Machu Picchu ruins at 13:00.
Usually, the park rangers allow tourists to stay inside the ruins for a short period of time. It will all depend on them.
- After the guided tour, return to the bus station and take the bus on your own.
- In Machu Picchu Pueblo, there are many restaurants, choose one of them and enjoy your lunch on your own.
- The train company’s team will be assisting you.
- If you left your luggage in the train company’s storage, please collect your belongings before boarding your bus.
Return to your hotel on your own.
The prices shown in the table are:
- Per person in US dollars ($).
- Prices are indicative and depend on: Hotel category, number of people, tour date, and nationality.
- Children have discounts.
- Group = shared service with other tourists.
- Pple. = people.
- The stars below stand for the hotel category.
|1||$250 – $280||$330|
|Schedule||7:15 to 20:30||7:15 to 20:30|
|Language: Guided tour of MP||es or en||es, en, pt, fr|
|Size: Guided tour of MP||15 attendees máx.||You and your friends|
|Size: Ollantaytambo-Cusco by bus||30 pax||30 pax|
|Size: Per train car||52 pax||52 pax|
|Pick up from your hotel in Ollantaytambo||❌||❌|
|Bimodal Expedition train: Ollantaytambo-MP Pueblo (round trip)||✅||✅|
|Bus: MP Pueblo-MP ruins (round trip)||✅||✅|
|Type of ticket: Machu Picchu Llaqta 1, 2, 3 or 4||✅||✅|
|Guide for MP ruinas||✅||✅|
|Drop off at your hotel in Cusco||❌||✅|
Accessibility: Not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
What do I bring?
- Original passport
- Rain ponchos
- Anti-slip shoes
- Caps or hats
- Mosquito repellent
- A bottle of water
- Performing flights with paragliders, drones, or any type of small aircraft.
- Backpacks, bags, or purses larger than 40x35x20 cm (16x14x8 inches).
- Walking sticks, umbrellas, sunshades, camera supports or extensions (tripods), and selfie sticks.
- Accessing with baby strollers.
- Climbing or leaning on Inca walls.
- Touching, moving, or extracting lithic elements.
- Not respecting the established circuits and routes.
- Engaging in prohibited acts will result in the immediate expulsion of the visitor without the right to a refund.
We are an upfront team: As a traveler, you have the right to information before making a purchase. We don’t hide any information from you. The more informed you are, the better you’ll enjoy your trip.
Please, scroll down to see reviews.