The tour to Palccoyo is a new alternative route that includes a short walk over the reddish and colorful mountains of Palccoyo, additionally you will visit the stone forest (colorful rocky formations) and beautiful views over the glaciers of the Ausangate mountain.
The Inca bridge on this route is optional, it will depend on the time and decision of the guide and driver. If you want to asure your visit to the Inca bridge, we suggest a private tour, although sometimes the Inca bridge closes due to maintenance issues and the decision of the Checacupe municipality.
We will depart from Cusco city to Cusipata by vehicle, we will have breakfast in Cusipata and then continue driving to the community of Palcoyo where we will begin to walk briefly until we reach the colorful mountains of Palccoyo and the Stone Forest. Afterward, we will return to Cusipata to have lunch, and finally, we get back to Cusco city, it is a full day tour.
Differences between the tour to the mountain of colors Palcoyo versus Vinicunca?
- Palcoyo Rainbow Mountains require a lesser amount of walking. you will walk a total of 1 hour and 20 minutes., unlike Vinicunca Rainbow, which requires 3 hours of walking time.
- Palcoyo Rainbow Mountains are slightly level walking, unlike Vinicunca Rainbow, which is steep walking.
- Palcoyo Mountain is located at 4800 m a.s.l. Unlike Vinicunca Mountain, located at 5200 m a.s.l.
- Palcoyo Rainbow is very quiet, unlike Vinicunca Mountain, which is very crowded.
- Important: In both mountains, you can see colorful formations in the form of Rainbows or 7 colors, however, this natural fact stands out more on the Vinicunca mountain, but if you do the tour to Palcoyo Mountain you will not only see colorful mountains but also the rocky formations
- Learn more about the differences between Vinicunca and Palccoyo here.
Do we visit the Red River on this tour?
- This River is located in the southern part of Cusco city, about 2 hours by bus near Checacupe city; this is a natural event that can be seen sometimes during the rainy season (January to March), the river turns into red color only when it is too rainy high up on the mountains where this river is born. The pouring rain will cause a lot of mudslides that will fall into the river, the mudslides are full of red minerals that will finally give the red color to this river.
- This means that we can never warranty you will see the river, getting to the Palccoyo mountain includes the fact of driving alongside this river so you will notice when the river turned into Red color, what’s more, our Tour Guide and the Driver will stop for some minutes so that you can see the Red River and take awesome pictures!
- If you are not good at walking, you have problems with the high altitude, or you don’t like overcrowded attractions, then book our tour to Palcoyo, you will love it!
This beautiful scenic trip to rainbow mountain normally lasts up to 13.5 hours (bus trip + walk), the tour starts very early at 4:30am in the morning, you are going to have breakfast and lunch during the excursion and you will return to Cusco at 6pm approx.
- We will pick you up from your hotel at about 4:30am – if applicable or requested
- You Should Read the Details Tab so there are no misunderstandings at all
Cusco to Cusipata by vehicle: 3 hours — Cusipata is a small town located at 3,310 m.a.s.l. (10,859 ft).
Cusipata to the indigenous community of Palccoyo by vehicle: 1 hour approx — This community is located at 4,050 m.a.s.l. (13,287 ft).
The hike is flat with some inclines, nothing challenging.
- Your Guide will give a brief and concise explanation about this attraction
- Free time at the mountain: 30 minutes
15 minute walk, nothing challenging.
This tour ends near the Plaza de Armas at 5:30pm approx. If you book a private tour, we will drop you off at your hotel.
The prices shown in the table are:
- Per person in US dollars ($).
- Pple. = people.
- Group = group service, shared.
|Schedule||4:30am to 5:30pm||5am to 5pm|
|Days||Every day||Every day|
|Language||es/en simultaneously||es or en|
|Size||15 to 30 pax.||You and your friends|
|Pick up from your hotel||✅||✅|
|Buffet breakfast and lunch||✅||✅|
|First aid kit||✅||✅|
|Entrance tickets for Palccoyo: 15 Soles pp||❌||❌|
|Drop off at your hotel||❌||✅|
- People with reduced mobility
- People with obesity and heart problems
- People who are not acclimatized to the altitude
- Minors unless you take the responsibility
What do I bring?
- Rain ponchos
- Anti-slip shoes
- Caps or hats
- A bottle of water
- Tablets for high altitude sickness
- Drones (optional):
- They are allowed
- Pay directly to the indigenous people: 50 Soles approx.
- Local currency in cash for your entrance tickets
- * Dollars, Euros and cards are not accepted
- * You can buy the entrance tickets the same day of your tour
The cancellation is free as long as you do it 48 hours in advance; otherwise, a fee of 100% of the tour cost will apply.
Please, scroll down to see reviews.