The tour to Palccoyo is a new alternative route that includes a short walk over the reddish and colorful mountains of Palccoyo, beautiful rock formations with colorful stripes, and beautiful views of the glaciers of the Ausangate mountain.
We will depart from Cusco city to Cusipata by vehicle, we will have breakfast in Cusipata and then continue driving to the community of Palcoyo where we will begin to walk briefly until we reach the colorful mountains of Palccoyo and the Stone Forest. Afterward, we will return to Cusipata to have lunch, and finally, we get back to Cusco city, it is a full day tour.
☝️Differences between the tour to the mountain of colors Palcoyo versus Vinicunca?
- Palcoyo Rainbow Mountains require a lesser amount of walking. you will walk a total of 1 hour and 20 minutes., unlike Vinicunca Rainbow, which requires 3 hours of walking time.
- Palcoyo Rainbow Mountains are slightly level walking, unlike Vinicunca Rainbow, which is steep walking.
- Palcoyo Mountain is located at 4800 m a.s.l. Unlike Vinicunca Mountain, located at 5200 m a.s.l.
- Palcoyo Rainbow is very quiet, unlike Vinicunca Mountain, which is very crowded.
- Important: In both mountains, you can see colorful formations in the form of Rainbows or 7 colors, however, this natural fact stands out more on the Vinicunca mountain, but if you do the tour to Palcoyo Mountain you will not only see colorful mountains but also the rocky formations
- Learn more about the differences between Vinicunca and Palccoyo here.
☝️Do we visit the Red River on this tour?
- This River is located in the southern part of Cusco city, about 2 hours by bus near Checacupe city; this is a natural event that can be seen sometimes during the rainy season (January to March), the river turns into red color only when it is too rainy high up on the mountains where this river is born. The pouring rain will cause a lot of mudslides that will fall into the river, the mudslides are full of red minerals that will finally give the red color to this river.
- This means that we can never warranty you will see the river, getting to the Palccoyo mountain includes the fact of driving alongside this river so you will notice when the river turned into Red color, what’s more, our Tour Guide and the Driver will stop for some minutes so that you can see the Red River and take awesome pictures!
- If you are not good at walking, you have problems with the high altitude, or you don’t like overcrowded attractions, then book our tour to Palcoyo, you will love it!