The Palccoyo Mountain Tour by MilkyWay is a new alternative route that includes a short walk to the spectacular natural wonder of the Palcoyo Rainbow Mountains, boasting colorful striated rock formations, views of the glacial Ausangate Peak, a visit to Incan colonial and republican bridges in Checacupe town.
We will start early in the morning and visit the three bridges in Checacupe, and then ride to the Palcoyo community, and walk for a short time to reach the Lookout point located at 4800 m a.s.l., from this spot, you will have an inspiring view over Palcoyo. If you are not happy with that, once we finish with the colorful mountains, we will make our way to explore the Stone Fortress.
What are the differences between the tour of Palcoyo rainbow mountain and Vinincunca Rainbow mountain?
- Palcoyo Rainbow Mountains require a lesser amount of walking. you will walk a total of 1hour and 20 minutes., unlike Vinincunca Rainbow, which requires 3 hours of walking time.
- Palcoyo Rainbow Mountains are slightly level walking, unlike Vinincunca Rainbow, which is steep walking.
- Palcoyo Mountain is located at 4800 m a.s.l. Unlike Vinincunca Mountain, located at 5200 m a.s.l.
- Palcoyo Rainbow is very quiet, unlike Vinincunca Mountain, which is very crowded.
- Important, in both mountains you can see colorful formations in the form of Rainbows or 7 colors, however this natural fact stands out more on the Vinincunca mountain, but if you do the tour to Palcoyo Mountain you will not only see colorful mountains but also a Forest of stones and 3 historic bridges in the city of Checacupe.
How about The Red River? Are you wondering about the Red River in Cusco? Well, let´s go straight to the point!
This River is located in the southern part of Cusco city, about 2 hours by bus near Checacupe city; This is natural event can be seen sometimes Only during the rainy season – January to March; The river turns into Red Colour when it is too rainy high up on the mountains where this river is born, The pouring rain will cause a lot of mudslides that will fall into the river, the mudslides are full of red minerals that will finally give the Red Colour to this River.
This means that we can never warranty you will see the river; Getting to the Palccoyo mountain includes the fact of driving alongside this River so you will notice when the river turned into Red colour; What is more, our tour guide and the driver will stop for some minutes so you see the Red River and the awesome pictures!
In Conclusion, if you are not good at walking, you have problems with the high altitude, or you don´t like overcrowded attractions, Book our Tour to Palcoyo, you will love it!